Materials (Basel). 2023 Feb; 16(4): 1640.

Unexpected Repercussions of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Total Hip Arthroplasty with Cemented Hip Prosthesis versus Cementless Implants

Ahmed Abu-Awwad, Conceptualization, Methodology, Writing – original draft, Project administration,1,2 Cristina Tudoran, Data curation, Project administration,2,3,4,5,* Jenel Marian Patrascu, Jr.,1,2 Cosmin Faur, Software,1,2 Mariana Tudoran, Conceptualization, Investigation,2 Gabriel Mihai Mekeres, Conceptualization, Resources, Data curation,6 Simona-Alina Abu-Awwad, Formal analysis, Visualization,2,7 and Andrei Nicolae Csep, Resources, Project administration, Funding acquisition6

(1) Background: Total hip arthroplasty (THA) is one of the most common procedures used for adult hip reconstruction, employing mainly two types of prostheses: cemented (CHP) and cementless (CLHP). This study aims to analyze the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on THA with CHP and CLHP, in terms of the benefit/cost ratio. (2) Methods: This article represents a retrospective analysis of the differences concerning the benefit/cost ratio between THA with the two types of prostheses in 2950 patients admitted for THA in the two orthopedic clinics of our hospital between 1 January 2015–1 March 2020 in comparison with 1005 THA subjects seen between 1 April 2020–31 December 2022. (3) Results: In the first period, THA with CHP was performed in 45.83% of cases, while CLHP was used in 54.16% of patients. During the COVID-19 period, CHP was inserted in 52% of THA patients, while the other 48% had CLHP inserted, with a hospitalization duration reduced by over 50% for both types of implants (p ˂ 0.001). (4) Conclusions: CHP offered good outcomes, with quicker mobilization, and shorter hospitalization duration, compared to CLHP, but optimization of the patients’ management can be achieved mainly by reducing the length of hospitalization through an appropriate preoperative patient evaluation through a multidisciplinary approach, an aspect that was proven during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Download article